Squire Sanders presents a series of monthly webinars featuring the employment laws of various key countries throughout Europe, Asia Pacific and the Americas. These webinars will provide participants with an understanding of the essential characteristics of the employment laws in these countries from starting a business and developing employment policies to dealing with unions and every employment issue in between.
On 23 May 2012 the featured country is United States (without California – which will be covered in the next webinar in the series). Susan DiMickele, Lew Clark and Jill Kirila from Squire Sanders’ US offices will discuss:
- sources of US employment law (Federal, State and local statutes and common law)
- the employment-at-will doctrine and the use of written employment agreements in the US (including non-competes and confidentiality agreements)
- executive contracts
- discrimination laws and other statutory protections of US workers
- recruiting, interviewing and hiring employees
- managing employee absences and leaves
- termination of employment (including the mass compensation scheme)
- managing workforces in corporate transactions
The main webinar presentation will last 45 minutes, followed by a 15 minute question and answer session. The webinar begins at 2.00 pm GMT (10.00 am EDT, 3.00 pm BST (UK), 4.00 pm CEST).